RCBC’s 40th Annual Zero Waste Conference & AGM
As Einstein said, we cannot solve today’s problems with the same thinking that created them. Clearly, it’s time to re-think business as usual and develop new approaches to prevent waste available through closed-loop or circular economic opportunities.
The circular economy is, by design and intention, restorative, in that material flows are either designed to re-enter the environment safely, or re-circulate into production. From the moment of conception, using design for environment, this approach optimizes systems rather than components, drawing from methods that include cradle-to-cradle, biomimicry, industrial ecology, where waste (residual resources) of one product, becomes input to create another.
Join us for our 40th Anniversary Conference from May 28-30, 2014 in beautiful Whistler, BC!
We are proud to announce our 2014 RCBC Conference Keynote Speaker: Leyla Acaroglu
We are excited to have Leyla Acaroglu as this year's Keynote Speaker for the RCBC Conference. From Melbourne, Australia, Leyla is a passionate sustainability provocateur, design strategist and leading proponent of systemic life cycle based sustainability. She has worked with business, government agencies and educational institutes around the world on a variety of innovative and forward thinking sustainability projects.
As a designer, social scientist, educator and passionate proponent of sustainability in and through design, she challenges people to see the secret life of everyday things and the underlying systems that make up the world. She has had her work featured on TED and published in a host of design magazines and The New York Times. Her work has included the development of one of the first online life cycle assessment tools. She is the Director of Eco Innovators, a lecturer at RMIT University and is currently undertaking her PhD in change-centric design.
To mark our 40th anniversary conference, RCBC is bringing you another great year of diverse programming. Here are some of the featured sessions you won’t want to miss:
1. Global Solutions to Universal Problems. We’ll take you to the leading edge of the circular economy, no passport required. From Europe to Brazil and Malawi, we’ll hear from established leaders and new players with fresh solutions on construction waste, recycling depots, the repair economy and more.
2. Young Leaders in Sustainability. It’s been said that youth is one of our most valuable renewable resources, so what’s being done to inspire tomorrow’s leaders today? We take a look at innovative education, such as SFU’s Beedie School Business Sustainable Innovation program and the Young Entrepreneur Leadership Launchpad (YELL), a group of mentors empowering the next generation of Canadian leaders. We’ll also hear from young entrepreneurs who are blazing new trails through sustainable enterprise.
3. Tapping into Tech Solutions. What if an answer to the waste reduction puzzle was at our fingertips? We’ll explore how mobile and web-based technologies are changing the field.
Check out the Full Conference Schedule with Session Themes and Speakers. (subject to change)
The General Conference Schedule is
Wednesday - May 28 - Sessions from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. / Welcome Reception from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Thursday - May 29 - Sessions from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. / Gala Reception & Dinner from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Friday - May 30 - 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Register today and take advantage of member rates starting at $625 ($675 for non-members)
Download the PDF registration forms (cheque or credit card registrations):
Register online (via Paypal)
*must meet non-profit subsidy requirements (see registration policy #4)
The Annual RCBC conference is attended by approximately 300-plus industry professionals from B.C. and North America. The three-day conference features a keynote speaker(s), presentations, workshops, information sessions and exhibits, as well as a Gala Dinner, entertainment and the annual RCBC awards presentation.
- Please submit payment with your registration form to RCBC. Make cheques payable to the Recycling Council of BC. Money orders and cheques will be accepted in CDN dollars only.
- Registrations received without payment will be considered incomplete and will not be processed until full payment is received.
- Member rates, including non-profit subsidy rates, are for active paid RCBC members only. In order to receive the member rate, 2014 memberships must be paid up by March 31, 2014. RCBC reserves the right to adjust your registration to the appropriate category, should you not qualify for member or non-profit subsidy rates or have not renewed your membership by March 31, 2014.
- Non-profit member registrations are for organizations that meeting the following: (1) annual budget of less than $250,000 (2) RCBC member in good standing (3)a provincially or federally registered charitable organization. Non-profit subsidy registrations are limited to 3 per organization.
- Registration cancellations WILL NOT be accepted by phone. All cancellations MUST be in writing to RCBC.
- The following cancellation penalties will apply:
- Prior to April 1: full registration refunded (less $50 administration charge)
- Between April 1-30: full registration refunded (less $100 administration charge)
- From May 1: no refund given
Conference delegates can avail of special room rates at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort starting at $149/night. Delegates are responsible for making their own reservations and payments. RCBC is offering special rates at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort starting as low as $149/night. Rates and availability are not guaranteed as rooms may sell out. Reserve now to ensure you receive the conference rate, valid only before April 18, 2014 providing room block does not sell out. For your enjoyment, the special rates are also available 3 days before and 3 days after the conference. Book ASAP to ensure your special rates. Limited space is available. To reserve:
By Phone: 1-800-606-8244 (quote Recycling Council of BC 2014 or group code 0514RECY for special rates.)
Book Online: https://resweb.passkey.com/go/recycling2014
- Underground self-parking is available at $30/night and valet parking at $35/night. Parking rates are inclusive of taxes
- Complimentary internet is available when you sign-up for a Fairmont President's Club Membership. You can register at www.fairmont.com/fpc.
- Delegate makes a reservation and secures with their credit card.
- Any cancellation outside of 72 hours prior to arrival, no charges will be incurred.
- At 72 hours prior to arrival, the guest credit card on file will be charged for full prepayment of the stay
- If the room is cancelled within the 72 hour cancellation period, the deposit for full room and tax will be kept as cancellation
Contact Brock Macdonald, CEO, at email@example.com or at 604-683-6009 ext. 307 for sponsorship opportunties.
We are happy to announce our 2014 Conference Exhibitors:
- Automotive Retailers Association
- BCUOMA Ambassadors
- Busch Systems Inc.
- EcoSafe Zerowaste
- Ecotainer Sales
- Emterra Environmental
- Ermeltek International Services
- EWWF Systems Ltd.
- GEEP Inc.
- Health Products Stewardship Association
- IPL Inc.
- Machinex Recycling Services
- Metro Vancouver
- Modulo Beton
- Municipal Media
- Otto Environmental Systems
- Progressive Waste Solutions
- Recycle Systems Inc.
- Rehig Pacific Company
- Rollins Machinery
- Royal Roads University
- Shanghai GreenEnjoy
- Trex Company Inc.
- Vulcan On-Board Scales
- Waste Management of Canada
Due to tremendous response to our Trade Show, we are only accepting inquiries on a wait-list basis. To request to be placed on the wait list for trade show space for our 2014 conference please contact Ben Ramos at firstname.lastname@example.org. Booths start at $835 (member rate).
For general conference inquiries, please contact Ben Ramos at 604.683.6009 ext. 314 or email email@example.com.